The Knoxville Film & Music Festival was always a gritty, independent, volunteer-driven festival. Organizers will celebrate that spirit in 2015 with a new name: The Scruffy City Film & Music Festival.
Continuing the event’s ongoing partnership with Scott and Bernadette West (owners of Scruffy City Hall), this year’s Scruffy City Film & Music Festival will take place at Scruffy City Hall in the heart of downtown Knoxville’s historic Market Square.
Last year, the festival was attended by more than 1,600 people and drew over 400 submissions (with half of those coming from outside the United States). Of those submissions, seven feature films and 20 short films were screened. Filmmakers from Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C. and Croatia flew in for the festival in 2014.
This year, the Scruffy City Film & Music Festival will run April 28 to May 2, 2015. Submissions have already been received from nine countries – and the regular deadline is still one month away. The new Scruffy City Film & Music Festival website is nearing completion and on Feb. 2 the music for the Music Video Competition and the movie trailer for the Music Composer Challenge will be released. Amazing bands including The Features , Darryl Worley, 10 Years, Nolan Neal, The Black Lillies, and Andy Wood have already signed on for this year’s competition.
The 2015 Scruffy City Film and Music Festival will feature:
– Five (5) Days of Live Regional Music on three stages
– Music Videos and Documentaries
– Feature and Short Films with incredible music scores
– Singer Songwriter Competition
– Band Eat Band Competition
– First Ever Music Composers Competition
– Music Video Challenge
– Panels, Workshops, and Q&As
– Daily mixers exclusively for filmmakers and musicians (craft beer and food pairings)
– Closing Night Gala Awards Ceremony
New for 2015: Film Score
One of the most exciting new things that will debut at the 2015 Scruffy City Film & Music Festival is “Film Score,” a competition that celebrates the musical heart and soul of film, and the composers and artists that make films sing.
Film Score will include:
– The Feature Film with the Best Score will be the opening film of the festival
– Music Composer Challenge (music composers will be given a movie trailer to score)
– Music Video Challenge (filmmakers will be given a song submitted from top acts in Rock, Americana, Pop, Indie, and Country and will create a music video for the song)
The Scruffy City Film & Music Festival is a national and international event with a focus on local East Tennessee talent. We are open for submission exclusively at Film Freeway.